Thursday, July 26, 2007

Norman's freaking out over his college apps and asking me for what to write and it is officially freaking me out.
AHH SO NERVOUS.

I still haven't finalized my list of colleges to apply to yet and I have yet to figure out what to major in. My dad and I made a list and we officially decided that everything I'm interested in/slightly good at is virtually useless. Joyous.

And I can't think of a single thing to write for all these perplexing essays!!!! I'm going to get at least the common app done soon! I must! At least before school starts. And then there's the British apps which must be done earlier and then Brown's individual set.. and I don't know if I want to apply to the University of Chicago.

AHH I FEEL INADEQUATE.

Because I love making lists... here are more. Oh and add "college apps" on my to-do list.

Possible Majors (with comments):
-English (Junior year with Hinman has seriously shaken my faith in my own writing and analyzing abilities to their very core. I have absolutely no confidence in English anymore. And it's a lot of work.)
-history (my only problem with this one is that it's slightly useless...)
-journalism (1. not many schools have this 2. I'm not exactly sure I'm cut out to be a journalist. 3. A lot of newspapers don't want journalism majors 4. The style might kill me)
-political science (erm... also slightly useless and one of my backups and choices for a minor)
-philosophy (back-up of a backup.. my dad would kill me if I took his major.. and I don't think I'm really that great for it anyway. All that nihilism.. BLECH)
-communication (again, not many schools have this and if I did this it would be venturing on the same path of journalism)
-international relations (interesting.. haven't given it too much thought)
-business (my last, last resort. if i'm totally and completely desperate.)

Oxford is awesome though.. it's got majors in like.. English + everything. I really like their English & History major... two in one. And actually they basically have any language + another totally unrelated major. So you could be an Ancient Greek + physics major, and it's not a double major but a curriculum they've actually worked out and stuff.

And I'm not quite sure what colleges I should apply to. I mean... obviously you've got the big names and stuff, but the big names aren't great at everything and I wish there was just a guide that says, "ENGLISH: Amherst, Northwestern, etc..." maybe there is... PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY IN COLLEGE--HELP ME HERE! (as in ANDY and KATHLEEN)

Thus far however, my possible list of colleges:
-Brown
I really like Brown, possibly because when I went there, it was the one day the weather was nice in New England and it was really beautiful and actually warm for a change and our tour guide was really awesome which made the whole experience brilliant.
But other reasons include: no core curriculum, design your own major, location (halfway between Boston and New York City), overlooking the ocean, middle-sized school with only a sprinkling of graduate students, pretty campus, on top of a hill (always reminds me of John Winthrop's "city on a hill" YAY GO APUSH NERDS) that overlooks Providence, Rhode Island so you get the feeling of big city and small university all in one
-Oxford
As stated above... the really awesome combination of majors. And it's in England. And no matter what anyone (cough my mom) says, it's still one of the best schools in the world.
-Cambridge
I need to do a little more research and figure out if I like Oxford or Cambridge more
-Yale
So pretty... and obviously.. it's Yale.
-Harvard
Need I say more? Shut my mom up, please.
-Northwestern
It's in Chicago, which speaks for itself and it's got one of the best journalism programs ever.
-Amherst
Great liberal arts school, but I'm still not sure if I could take the tininess of it and the fact that their town is smaller than half of Chino Hills.
-UCs
Of course.

These are the ones I'm not sure on:
-Stanford
Would just feel wrong not to apply and waste another $65 or whatever it is
-University of Chicago
Norman's been talking me into applying there for the past 30 minutes. They are really good in liberal arts and they're in Chicago and the campus is absolutely beautiful and not to mention, their application questions are AMAZING. Write us a story as long as you use the following words. Describe your ideal dinner table; the guests, the food, the discussion. OMG I would run away with that one.
-Columbia
My dad won't let me go to Columbia. He thinks I'm going to be raped.
-Dartmouth
Again, maybe too small for my liking.
-UPenn
I have no idea about them.. should look them up.
-Georgetown
Good for political science

I'm sure there are more.. why don't I just go to the University of Idaho?

HELP!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let junior English shake your faith- I believe your writing is good enough, aside from your past history of abusing the privilege to use exclamation marks.
And quite honestly, your decision for you major does NOT matter as much right now as you think. You can always change your major once you get in. I mean, look at me. It's the "getting in" part that you should worry right now. Just put down a major that you might conceivably see yourself doing, but don't have the mindset that it's set in stone. Besides you'll most likely be taking all the GEs your first year anyway, not your core major classes. That's not til your 2nd or 3rd year.
Hmm... international relations... interesting. But that usually requires people skills and uh, not scaring people. Haha, jk.

7/27/2007 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOO nooo not UI!!! come to byu idaho with me!!! hahahahahahahaha that would be hilarious!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7/29/2007 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRAP!!! i don't wanna think about college apps...

8/01/2007 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home