Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I really need to update more, especially now that I'm on break.

I'm currently taking a break from doing Chinese with my dad because he's talking to some guy at Home Depot. Haha.. So I don't get to read Trotsky's autobiography aloud to my dad on the phone for a few minutes. Whoopdie doo!

I've cooked four meals in three days thus far. I feel very accomplished. And I've fed 5-6 people each meal. It's amazing. This has however, made me realize that I never want to have more than two children. Cooking for six people is ridiculous. It takes forever. This morning, I made French toast and I spent an entire hour doing it, piece by piece. Imagine if you had to cook for your husband and four kids every day, three times a day. I'd go crazy. Even though I feel really accomplished that people are actually liking (I hope) my food, I could never be a housewife. I just couldn't do it. I feel like the days are so short when you have to be in the kitchen at a certain point. So limited. So restricted. But anyway, I've made: French toast (this morning for brunch.. first time ever, so I'm glad it actually turned out okay), tomatoes and eggs noodles, green onion Chinese pancakes with cucumber salad and string beans with potatoes, and rice with cucumber salad and potatoes with peppers tonight. Yay Chinese food! I keep having to call my mother to ask her what to do. Javi's the dessert master. He's made apple pie, carrot cake, whipped cream, and chocolate mousse all from scratch thus far, as well as feeding us omelettes and pasta with pink sauce. Yum yum. If it didn't take so much time (and effort to go grocery shopping without a car), I'd eat like this all the time (and get really fat.) We're going back to the grocery store tomorrow to get all the Thanksgiving dinner ingredients. Thursday is going to be interesting... Elaine is going to be in the kitchen from sunrise to sunset making Thanksgiving dinner. I really feel like a housewife. This is not okay. Back to being a crazily stressed out "intellectual" and newspaper editor.

Speaking of newspapers, I'm going through all the articles I've ever written to compile 12 for the LA Times to apply for their summer internship. Given that The Student really isn't the best paper ever (I'll be the first to admit it), I don't know what my chances are. I look back and miss the Oracle a lot. Sigh. Such precision and efficiency. I did a search of all my articles today. It's kind of ridiculous how quickly I can pump out news articles nowadays. It's really nice in that I don't have to spend much time at all.. 30 minutes.. but it's also sad because I think it takes away a lot of the craft and the artistry that goes into it. I don't write articles because I want to anymore, but because I have to, because the paper needs them asap.

Florian and Javier are the cutest couple ever. They're so adorable I just want to hug them, which I do, all the time. But it's nice in that I don't really ever feel like a third wheel. We've got a nice dynamic. Florian and I were meant to be soulmates, Javier and he are adorable, and Javi's very good about including people. We watched "Mulan" last night. Florian hadn't seen it before, but Javi and I went crazy singing and reciting along. I love Shang. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it possible that somebody exists in this world who hasn't seen Mulan? SHAME! Well, at least he did watch it...

As for the housewife thing, it takes lots of practice. It takes time to develop the cooking skills needed to expedite the prep process, because usually that's what takes the most time. I'll bake you a pie when you get back!! =D

11/25/2009 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home