Saturday, April 30, 2005

legovanan
Spent the last half hour at the LFC site; quotes section. Some are hilarious, some ironic, and some inspiring. My favorites, including some Matthew will shoot me for.
Inspirational/Touching:
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly

"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against." Bill Shankly about the 'This is Anfield' plaque

"It broke my heart to leave Liverpool." Kenny Dalglish

"When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy’. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." Gerard Houllier

"Take that bandage off. And what do you mean about YOUR knee? It's Liverpool's knee!" Bill Shankly to Tommy Smith, who had a bandage on his injured knee

"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

This one I can just hear Bill saying to me:
"Where are you from?" "I'm a Liverpool fan from London." "Well laddie, what's it like to be in heaven?" Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman. It was like walking to the electric chair. That's the way it felt." Bill Shankly on the leaving of Liverpool

"The only thing I fear is missing an open goal in front of the Kop. I would die if that were to happen. When they start singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I've actually been crying while I've been playing". Kevin Keegan

An Evertonian's Bane:
These are some of the best in the world. I'm gonna put these on my binder; they're so true, and hilarious.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

This one is hilarious:
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Bill Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: "Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!" YES YOU WILL!!!

"We are the real people's club." Sammy Lee

"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

AND THE BEST ONE, MY NEW CATCH PHRASE
"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic." Emlyn Hughes

Humor:
"Laddie, I never drop players, I only make changes." Bill Shankly to a journalist who criticised his team selection

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin" Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength." Bill Shankly

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy

And of course, I just love this one, though the irony of hindsight clouds my eyes:
"I want to keep an English heart to the team. I believe in that. Michael Owen is that. Never think Michael is afraid of anything." Gerard Houllier

Last one, and I think Kopites should really listen to this one more.
"We don't destroy our heroes today when we worshipped them yesterday."
–Gerard Houllier

A month ago, around the derby, you mention anything bad, it didn't even have to be bad, just negative about Stevie G and you'd get jumped. Flowers were laid in his path. He was the hero. He could do no wrong. Now lately, people start talking all this trash about him. "He's off to Chelsea. Stop playing Gerrard. Just go wear blue." "I'd take the millions and say Goodbye." Now, that amazing goal he scored today, and he's the heralded hero again. Please don't leave Stevie!! Some of us still love you no matter what. You're the soul of the team!!! The heart's already gone, (and Matthew, I'm not the only one who thinks Owen was the heart. Just look at the Houllier quote up there) and now you've become the heart and soul. Maybe Michael will come back...

Don't kill me for those Matthew!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home