Monday, April 25, 2005

legovanan
AHH!! MAY 19!!! i can't WAIT!!!
Since I wasn't on speaking terms with half the people on the bus today, I was reading the episode III book (it's Royston's. He generously let me borrow it! I love him!) okay not love, but whatever. Anakin... Anakin..

To clarify the general misconception that I only like Star Wars, and adore Anakin for his looks. Other than the fact that Hayden Christensen is probably THE best looking guy I have ever seen in my life (and disagree with me if you will), but also because I can relate to Anakin in a lot of ways. Elsa, here's an analogy for you:
Erik is to Elsa, as Anakin is to Elaine.
One of the only reasons I like Star Wars is George Lucas' attempt to explain the evolution of evil. If evil can love, then what is evil? You know, they picked Jake Lloyd to play Anakin at 9, a perfect choice, because I don't think you could find another kid who looked as angelic and innocent. How could someone like him grow up to be Darth Vader? And then he picks Hayden Christensen *swoons*, someone who is absolutely gorgeous, but in those eyes, you can see the ongoing conflict and rage. Then you wonder, how could he turn against his best friend/father figure. All these questions boiling in your mind.
I was reading an article about the new film, and George Lucas said, in order to tie the prequels with the original trilogy, Episode III has to end in a very dark place; the darkest place in the universe, he said. He also said that out of all the people who have already seen the film (lucky bastards), all the women cried, and at least half the men did as well, throughout the film. I am going to WEEP!! Kathleen better bring tissues for me. I wanna see if she ACTUALLY cries; something that's only happened once so far. I cry practically every movie we watch; she never does.

So anyway, I was reading the book, and there was a couple pages dwelling into Anakin's psychology: his fears. He was haunted by a dead star he saw once, because he didn't realize that even stars can die.
I can really relate to this quote; Anakin's ultimate fear:
"Because his real fear, in a universe where even stars can die, is that being the best will never be quite good enough."

When you're at the top, the only way you can go is down. No matter how good you are, how hard you work, you'll never be good enough for someone or something. There will always be disappointment. Anakin's greatest issue was that he couldn't save everyone, and that was a quarter of the reason he turned to the Dark, because he saw the promise in the Dark Side to give him the power the Jedi couldn't, to save all. The loss of his mother, and the forbidden love of Padme drove him on. He didn't understand why he couldn't do all.

I will ramble about this later, as well as my very pissed off interlude today at the bus stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home