Thursday, March 24, 2005

legovanan
I can't put this book down. I used to have a rather bad impression on it, as many people told me that Emily Bronte was a psychotic lady with little literary talent. HOW WRONG THEY WERE! and also, one movie adaptation was just weird and horrible!
anyway, i can't put Wuthering Heights down! I mean, a lot of people criticize it as a psychotic love story, but it goes a lot deeper than that. What love can do to you, and how foolish people can become; disillusioned, flying away from the very thing they know they love, and loves them, for illusions of superficial happiness. The character of Heathcliff is one of the most interesting and best things about the book. You wonder what drove him to that edge, and Emily Bronte does a good job of explaining and developing his character, as well as showing what he is capable of, but showing how really, he loved Cathey, and his tenderness with her broke my heart..
Most famous quote from the book that really defines their relationship:
"My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees--my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath--a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I AM Heathcliff--he's always, always in my mind, not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself--but, as my own being."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home