Sunday, December 18, 2005

legovanan
My mother doesn't recognize a sensitive subject even if it falls on her like a brick on the head. She also is very very annoying to shop with.
For ye who is a bit thick, this is going to be a complaining rant about the faults of a particular parent of mine.
Alright so I get up and my desire for the past 2 weeks has been to watch the Lord of the Rings. So I pop in Return of the King, with the clear message of, "I don't really want to talk right now." My mother pops up, "WHY are we watching this AGAIN?" I'M watching it. You're doing something else. Oyyy..
I explain, very rationally, that I haven't watched any of the trilogy since August, and this is the only thing that makes me feel completely at peace. (Books put me in a state of euphoria, not peace) And she's like, "O yea.. You REALLY haven't seen this movie enough."
"Yes Mom, I can't even remember the next line exactly."
"Then how come I can?"
"Mother.. you don't even know who the Ringbearer is, which is really sad, considering you are probably #2 in the rankings of how many times people have seen it, in all Southern California. Behind me, of course. Can you leave me alone now?"
"Isn't the director really fat?"
Oyy.... "He's lost weight over the past year. It's really weird. It's taking away from the essence of Pete Jackson."
"Really? What diet was he on? Maybe you should be on it."
Good thing Faramir's face appeared at that moment.

Alright so I calm myself down, and we're off to the Spectrum to go holiday shopping. Bought Ashley the cutest ______ ever at Nordstroms. Then we went to Walmart, my least favorite store ever and in the HUMONGOUS lines, my mom has to gawk at everyone and everything. "OMG she just spent 162 dollars."
"MOTHER STOP BEING SO NOSY."
"I wonder how much that costs."
Sometimes I hate speaking Chinese in public.

O yes, and I just remembered. I spent $20 on the Twilight book. The $20 gift card I got for my birthday. I finished the book in two hours yesterday, and I read it again last night. My mother will NOT shut up about that. "We should give it to Kathleen or someone for Xmas. Just wrap it up." "Or return it. Get another book. You spend $20 too fast. You need to stop buying books. It's too much money."
OMFG. I WANT TO READ. LEAVE ME ALONE. I WANT TO READ MY BOOKS AND I WANT TO KEEP MY BOOKS. I don't BUY books. I get them from the library. The one time I want to buy a book it's unforgivable because I read too fast. People like her who take a year to read a book and another year just to get the incentive to read it shouldn't buy books. That's a waste of literature. Oyy...

So I got Matthew and Ashley presents and we went on a delivery run. We get to Matthew's house, and I see that the garage is open, and there are alot of people at Patrick's house, and a bunch of boys playing basketball on the driveway, which basically means Matthew is over there playing basketball. Before I get out of the car, I tell my mother, "Just stay in the car. Please stay in the car. Don't do anything stupid like getting out of the car."
So I go to his front door and ring the bell. James opens it and I hand the gift to him and ask him to give it to his brother. I turn around and walk away and there's my mother, out of the car calling to Matthew. And there he is, walking over, and I'm trying not to scream at my mother in Chinese. Awkward moment. I call to him without looking at him, "I just gave your present to James. I'm going to go now. Goodbye." Yes, Elaine is furious at her mother right now. And then all the way back, she keeps pestering me about him. "How can you give someone a present without seeing them?" I'm like, "He got me something. I like to give people presents. If they got me something, then I have to get them something. But I don't like to give them meaningless stuff, so I look for something with meaning. He gave me something. I had to get him something."
"Why don't you call him anymore?"
"Mother... none of your business."
"Matthew's such a nice boy. He's so much better than Camron and all your other friends." and she goes on and on and on and on about him, and finally, I'm just like, "MOTHER. NEXT TOPIC." and ignore her prattling. But nooooooo she won't stop. SENSITIVE SUBJECT MOTHER. CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

Talked to Ashley for a while at her house. Assured her that I wasn't mad at her and went over her escapade from last night. Heheh. Girl talk.

Argh.. I feel like how I felt Friday night. I kept searching for something distinctly English to watch. But noo.. it's always the American girl and British guy. Didn't feel like watching football. Wanted something dramatic, but Harry Potter wasn't the answer either. So finally, "Closer" was on. That was distinctly English. I saw the Thames and/or rain in every shot, and the hotness of Jude Law was pressing in. Very uh... sexual movie, I must say. Not for younger audiences. I have stooped to that level. Then Sam has to email me for the first time in months and I'm just like all over the place. I want to be in England!!!! I don't understand myself. I want to be somewhere foreign, somewhere cultured. Some place that has a history of more than 400 years. I want to be in London. I really want to be in a big city for some reason too, which is very un-Elaine-like. I am definitely going to England for college. I don't care if it'll ruin my future or whatever. I want to be somewhere else right now. Fictional worlds only last so long.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, from a spectator's standpoint, your mother seems like a very comical figure. =D

hehe- asian moms

12/18/2005 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Closer is a very bad perverted movie! and not purely English, Julia Roberts is very much American. Bad, perverted movie.. even though i watched it opening night, hehe(= but still! bad perverted movie! although some scenes were particularly interesting.. bad perverted movie!

your mother seems really nice, but i've only met her once, so i guess i have no say in what she's like. and andy's right, she does seem like a very comical figure:P

have a very merry christmas, happy holidays, wonderful hannakuh, and a very festive festivus!

Love from Robin.

ahem. bad perverted movie.

12/20/2005 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like robin liked it....ALOT....maybe because of how sexually perverted it was

12/21/2005 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home