Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's really interesting but slightly freaky when you search for someone on Facebook and end up with all these people with similar names that have a bunch of mutual friends with you. It makes me think about the Six Degrees of Separation theory and if that's really true, and all the people that I might meet and have someone in common with. For example, I played basketball with a couple of Brian's friends today and when I searched one of them, we had more friends in common than Brian. Isaac's new girlfriend from NYU also had a mutual friend with me that lives down the hall from me at Amherst. It's crazy!

Brian took me to this place in Hacienda Heights that is basically the top of a really tall hill and has an amazing view down on LA County. Sadly, it could not be captured on camera as well, but it was breathtaking. As I looked down on all the shining lights, the different colours indicating whether it was a home, a store, or a restaurant, I was awed by the sheer size of humanity. It seemed like such a wide expanse, so many people, so many lives, stretching beyond the eye, yet it is but an infinitesimal fraction of all of mankind. When I was little, my mom used to always talk about the "view" and she wanted a house with a "view" and I always despised the array of golden lights that to me signified the death of wildlife and the corruption of the nature. But looking down tonight, I suppose that mankind is beautiful too. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the inauguration.

your thoughts, please.

1/24/2009 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home