Saturday, March 05, 2005

legovanan
anyway, off the politics. Guess what I did last night and this morning?!?! Watched the Appendices of ALL THREE FILMS!! soooo awesomely awesome!! i laughed, cried, was shocked, became enlightened, giggled, laughed hysterically, cried hysterically, went "awww..." a bunch of times, and said, "damn he's cute..." (heheeh.. big eyes as my mom calls him. elsa-- don't die again)
Then this morning, I watched an hour of Fellowship!! it was so awesome. i haven't watched that film in the LONGEST time, that the EXACT words aren't appearing in my mind as quickly anymore. I actually have to think about it, and especially have to THINK ABOUT THE WORDING!! GASP!! (connie--yes i'm pathetic) it was sooo fun. The high and low point came when my mom, who was actually making an attempt to stay awake for once, said, "Wait.. Why are they doing this?" We were at the Ring Goes South, Caradhas scenes, and she's like, "OMG this is practically the Long March.." (think Mao Zedong and China) and i'm trying not to laugh, yet it was quite an interesting comparison that only my parents would have thought of. I say, "Well kind of..." (all in Chinese of course)
and my mom says, "Yea i know. Long and useless."
"WHAT?!??! IT's NOT USELESS!!!!!!!!!!" (i practically died when my OWN mother reveals herself as one of those unappreciative non-Tolkienites. usually, she's just ignorant of the beauty)
She's like, "Then what are they doing??? Why are they doing that?"
"Because they have to destroy the Ring!!"
"Why can't they just throw it somewhere or cut it?"
I sigh deeply, bury my face in my hands, and say in a perfectly calm voice, "Mother. You don't know after the 964 times we've watched this?" 964 is a complete random estimate.. hehe. it's probably exceeded that.
She shakes her head. I sigh deeply again, and quote, "The Ring was made by the Dark Lord Sauron himself, the big orange Eye Mom, in the fires of Mount Doom, Mom, remember the big fiery mountain in the third movie they're trying to climb up? (this takes her about 40 seconds, then nods emphatically, though i still doubt she knows) Only there can it be unmade.." (u like my incorporation of book, movie, and trying to explain to my mom in terms she understands)
She's like, "O!!!!! SO THEY'RE GOING THERE TO DESTROY IT!!!"
"YES!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!"
She says, "I GET IT!! Wait.. so they made these three movies, over 10 hours and millions of dollars just to destroy a Ring?!"
"Yes mother.."
"What a waste of money!!"
"MOTHER!! WHY IS EVERYTHING SO ECONOMICAL TO YOU?!?!"
"Tolkien didn't have a life."
I just burst at the seams at this, and I practically hurled myself on top of her to beat her down, but she's my mother, and we must respect our elders, unfortunately. "LIKE YOU COULD WRITE SOMETHING THAT BEAUTIFUL EVEN IF YOU TRIED!!!"
Then she gets REALLY confused when she remembers Gollum, "Wait?? WHere is he? How come their all fighting in different areas???"
That led to another argument, her insulting Tolkien, and me trying to explain without confusing her too much, and she shall forget within the next week. ::sigh:: Such is my life.. and Royston and Camron think Jundanian needs to dumb it down for ME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home